Wednesday, January 30, 2013

RCMS Run Club Officially Underway

This afternoon we had our first RCMS Run Club meeting...and it was awesome.  We had 23 students, staff, and parents come out to join us for a few laps and a lot of laughs.  Hopefully our little club will continue to grow in popularity.

I want to share with you a true story about one of our run club members.  Since this member is a minor, I'll call this person "KT" to protect their identity.

KT is a student at RCMS who unfortunately got into a little trouble today and as a result had to spend some quality time in front of me (the AP).  See, KT decided to make a rather hurtful remark about another person in our school today, and really hurt that person's feelings.  Offenses of this nature just don't sit well with me, so we had our little chat.

During the course of our conversation, KT told me that they had signed up for the running club, and I told KT that while I'm glad they signed up, I am even more disappointed about their actions, as this can be construed as a form of bullying...something our running club is very much against (obviously).

When I saw KT later at run club, KT told me "I really didn't want to be here today."  I asked "Why not?" and KT responded, "I'm a little tired and I really just didn't feel like running.  But as I thought about what I did earlier today, I just felt like I should be here."

I couldn't help but smile and give KT a little fist bump. 

TC

No comments:

Post a Comment